A strain occurs in muscles; specifically it is the tearing or stretching of muscle fibers. Neck strains can result from whiplash. A spasm can occur when the muscles contract involuntarily either as the result of an injury, overuse, poor posture, or stress.
- Pain and tenderness in your neck
- Pain when moving your head
- Tension headaches
- Muscles are hard, tight and painful.
Your physician will evaluate your injury by taking a complete medical history, including mechanism of injury, prior injuries and symptoms. Your physician will perform a complete examination of your neck. Your physician may also send you for an x-ray.
- Use ice on the area for 20 minutes on with 40 minutes off for the first 72 hours
- Heat Pack
- Take an anti-inflammatory or pain medication as prescribed by your physician
- Stretching the neck muscles
- Physical therapy
Strengthen the muscles that surround your neck
If you are at a desk throughout the day, take breaks and stretch your neck.